Thursday, November 22, 2012

Garlic Mashed/Whipped Potatoes

Garlic Mashed/Whipped Potatoes

Very easy to prepare and every time I make it I always get compliments. Since today is Thanksgiving I thought I would share my recipe. When I was growing up I always wanted to contribute, so over the years this became my specialty. Now I make it on demand for my wife atleast a few times a month and has become a addiction. For my recipe one stick to 4 potatoes honestly isn't even a lot of butter. Famous French chefs are known to use equal amount of butter to potatoes by weight and is the trick for most restaurants, but even I think that is a little overboard. To me I focus more on the garlic and cheese than the butter. You can get the potatoes more creamy w/o the extra butter, but does take a repetitive process of mashing and stirring if you don't have a hand mixer as the pictures below will show. Happy Eating I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients

4 peeled and chopped evenly white, yukon, or idaho potatoes
5 cloves Garlic, minced
Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper
Parsley
Parmesan Cheese
Milk
1 stick Butter, the better the quality butter the better the taste. But, use what's available


Step 1 - mince garlic should have a decent size chunk like below



Step 2 - chop potatoes in to little, but not too small pieces. If u chop to small will fall apart in water and if too big they won't mashed good. 



Step 3 - Very important, when u drain the potatoes. Similar to pasta leave a little water in the bottom of the pan helps w/ mixing and adds flavor in my opinion. Add your stick of butter, a splash of milk and spread the minced garlic around. Add salt and pepper. 



Step 4 - Mashed the ingredients then add about 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and stir into the potatoes. taste, and if not enough garlic at this point I add garlic powder and more salt to your liking. Can't go wrong w/ more graded cheese either. Again this part is up to you and your taste buds. But, who doesn't like more garlic ;).



Step 5 - If u do not have a hand mixer. I suggest you ask for one for Christmas, one of my favorite kitchen appliances I own. This drastically helps out mix the ingredients and whips the potatoes, so you don't end up w/ chucks of garlic or too much butter. Evenly spreads the flavor. If you don't have this I suggest to use your hand masher at least 2 to 3 times.



Step 6 - end result should look like below and serve. This example I did not use parsley I ran out, but at this stage I would reccomend to add parsley and stir into the final mixing stage.

Embedded image permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment